Welcome to the Prismatic Pull, a weekly recap of LGBTQIA comics news. Not to confused with the Prismatic Gull.
Out Last Week
- Midnighter and Apollo #1
- Harley Quinn #5
- Goldie Vance #6
- Insexts #8
- DC Comics Bombshells #18
- Woods #26
- Vote Loki TPB
- Goldie Vance vol. 1
- Oh Joy Sex Toy vol. 1
- Oh Joy Sex Toy vol. 2
- The Wicked + The Divine vol. 4
- Both DC and Marvel announced ongoing solo series for their leading lesbian characters at NYCC:
- The Legend of Korra‘s first graphic novel, Turf Wars, will be releasing in June 2017 under the creative guidance of series co-creator Michael DiMartino and artist Irene Koh.
- “It’s gonna take place right after the finale, so it’s focusing on Korra and Asami’s relationship as a new threat emerges.” – DiMartino
- Four characters have been announced as part of Steve Orlando‘s upcoming Justice League of America lineup, one of which is Ray “The Ray” Terrill.
- He, like the other announced members, will receive one-shot introduction. Justice League of America: The Ray by Steve Orlando and Stephen Byrne releases in January.
- Warren Ellis is relaunching the Wildstorm universe over at DC, creating an imprint similar to Gerard Way’s Young Animal. One of the confirmed rebooted characters is Voodoo, a bisexual superhero who had her own series at the beginning of the New 52.
- NYCC’s X-TRAORDINARY: The LGBT Characters of the X-MEN panel served as a unique opportunity for queer and straight comics creators alike to wax about queer X-Men characters — oh, and also for one of those straight creators (comics vet Peter David) to return a question about Romani representation with an anti-Romani tirade.
- O Human Star, Blue Delliquanti‘s very queer family drama webcomic set during the robot revolution, is now funding its second volume on Kickstarter.
- As of writing, it is 62% funded with 24 days left to reach its goal.
- Destiny, NY is Pat Shand and Manuel Preitano’s graphic novel about a queer girl who fulfilled her phophesized destiny at the age of thirteen — and then promptly burnt out afterwards.
- As of writing, it is 23% funded with 23 days left to reach its goal.
- Added Lucas Trent, a.k.a. Midnighter, in Midnighter & Apollo by Steve Orlando and Fernando Blanco
- Added Andrew Pulaski, a.k.a. Apollo, in Midnighter & Apollo by Steve Orlando and Fernando Blanco
- Added Berenice in Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love by Sarah Vaughn and Lan Medina.
- Added Melody Valentine in Josie and the Pussycats by Marguerite Bennett, Cameron Deordio, and Audrey Mok
As of October, Marvel’s:
- Secret Wars” Leah in Siege has not had a major role in one year.
- Xi’an Coy Manh (Karma) and“Ultimate” Piotr Rasputin (Colossus) have not had major roles in three years.
- Phyla-Vell (Martyr) and Heidi Sladkin (Riot) have not had major roles in seven years.
- Gerri Brauer (Donner) and Valerie Kameya (Blitzen) have not had major roles in 20 years.
This Week in Comics
Catwoman vol. 8, Detective Comics #942, Wonder Woman #8, Wonder Woman The Golden Age Omnibus HC Vol. 01, Shutter #23, Space Battle Lunchtime #5, Space Battle Lunchtime vol. 1, Cognetic TP.
Have tips for upcoming installations of the Prismatic Pull? Tweet me @HonestlyJon or email me at jonerikchristianson[at]gmail[dot]com.